Resolution of disputes with financial services providers within the justice system
The submission to the Senate Legal and Constitutional Affairs Reference Committee’s inquiry into the resolution of financial disputes with financial services providers within the justice system was prepared by the Law Council.
As a result of the timeframes provided in which to make submissions to the Inquiry, the Law Council has not had an opportunity to consider all aspects of the Terms of Reference. This submission is therefore limited to the following matters arising from the scope of the Inquiry:
- the need for legal advice and representation;
- the ability to attain legal advice and representation;
- the accessibility of the legal assistance sector;
- funding to improve access to legal assistance;
- the accessibility and appropriateness of the Australian Financial Complaints Authority (AFCA); and
- the role of alternative dispute resolution processes.
You can read the full submission below.