Inquiry into the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals
The submission to the Department of the Senate's Inquiry into the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals (SDG) was prepared by the Law Council.
In 2017, the Law Council commenced the Justice Project – a comprehensive, national review into the state of access to justice in Australia. From the outset, it has been clear to the Law Council that the findings of the Justice Project will have direct relevance to Australia’s implementation of Sustainable Development Goal 16, especially in relation to the following targets:
- 16.3: Promote the rule of law at the national and international levels and ensure equal access to justice for all
- 16.6: Develop effective, accountable and transparent institutions at all levels
- 16.7: Ensure responsive, inclusive, participatory and representative decisionmaking at all levels
- 16.10: Ensure public access to information and protect fundamental freedoms, in accordance with national legislation and international agreements, and
- 16.B: Promote and enforce non-discriminatory laws and policies for sustainable development.
You can read the full submission below.