Courts Administration Legislation Amendment Bill 2015
1. The Law Council of Australia welcomes the opportunity to provide comments on the Courts Administration Legislation Amendment Bill 2015.
2. The Law Council is the national peak body for the legal profession. Further information about the Law Council is at Attachment A.
3. The Executive of the Family Law Section, and both the Federal Court and Federal Circuit Court Liaison Committees of the Law Council’s Federal Litigation and Dispute Resolution Section, contributed to this submission.
4. This submission also includes comment from the Family Issues Committee of the Law Society of New South Wales. That Committee represents the Law Society of New South Wales on family law issues as they relate to the legal needs of people in NSW, and includes experts drawn from the ranks of the Law Society’s membership.
5. The Bill was introduced into the House of Representatives on 2 December 2015. If passed, it will amend the:
• Federal Court of Australia Act 1976 (Cth) (Federal Court Act)
• Family Law Act 1975 (Cth)
• Federal Circuit Court of Australia Act 1999 (Cth); and
• Native Title Act 1993 (Cth).