2016-17 Federal Budget
1. The Law Council of Australia is pleased to provide the following submission in response to Treasury’s request for submissions on the 2016/17 Federal Budget.
2. As outlined in Attachment A, the Law Council is the national peak body for the Australian legal profession.
3. The Law Council’s submission primarily concerns access to justice, including funding for legal assistance services and for the federal courts and tribunals. Legal assistance services comprise the Legal Aid Commissions (LACs), Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Legal Services (ATSILS), Family Violence Prevention Legal Services (FVPLSs) and Community Legal Centres (CLCs).
4. The Law Council is also concerned about discontinuation of funding for the Centre for Asia-Pacific Pro Bono and funding to a number of statutory and government entities, including human rights oversight bodies, as well as information, privacy and environmental regulatory bodies.
5. The Law Council thanks Treasury for the opportunity to provide these brief comments and would be pleased to provide any further information required.