Policy Statement - The Death Penalty
29 September 2007
The Law Council of Australia’s longstanding policy on the death denalty states the Law Council of Australia:
- opposes the imposition or execution of the death penalty; and
- opposes all forms of torture, or cruel, inhuman or degrading treatment or punishment.
The purpose of this policy statement is to explain in further detail:
- the nature of the Law Council’s opposition to the death penalty;
- the basis for the Law Council’s opposition to the death penalty;
- and the policy and advocacy implications of the Law Council’s position.