Public consultation on further revisions to Rule 42 of the Australian Solicitors’ Conduct Rules
6 April 2021
The Law Council of Australia has released a Public Consultation Paper on a proposed revision to Australian Solicitors’ Conduct Rule (ASCR) 42. The Law Council is inviting comments and submissions by 7 May 2021, which can be lodged via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The proposed revision responds to submissions and subsequent consultations arising from the Law Council’s National Round Table Addressing Sexual Harassment (Roundtable) and National Action Plan to Reduce Sexual Harassment in the Australian legal profession (National Action Plan).
These amendments aim to:
- clarify that Rule 42 applies to conduct that occurs in any setting connected to the practice of law;
- ensure that professional disciplinary bodies can appropriately respond to matters concerning sexual harassment as either unsatisfactory professional conduct or professional misconduct; and
- express the profession’s collective view that discrimination and harassment (and, in particular, sexual harassment) are unacceptable conduct when occurring in any situation connected to the practice of law.
For more information, please see:
- Public Consultation Paper on the further revisions to Rule 42.
- The current Australian Solicitors’ Conduct Rule 42 (Anti- Discrimination and Harassment).