Congratulations to Shadow Attorney-General Mark Dreyfus and Shadow Justice Minister Clare O’Neil
23 July 2016
The Law Council of Australia has today extended its congratulations to Mark Dreyfus QC MP on his reappointment to the role of Shadow Attorney-General in the Federal Opposition.
Law Council of Australia President, Stuart Clark AM, noted the long and constructive relationship the Law Council has enjoyed with Mr Dreyfus.
“We are very much looking forward to continuing our cooperative and open dialogue with Mr Dreyfus regarding the interests of the legal profession and rule of law principles,” Mr Clark said.
“There are many issues in the legal sphere that should be made key priorities of the 45th Parliament, and political consensus will be crucial in securing positive outcomes for the nation.
“I’m very hopeful that the Law Council — as an independent, apolitical body — can play a strong role in achieving political consensus for meaningful change.”
Mr Clark also warmly congratulated Clare O’Neil MP on her appointment as Shadow Justice Minister.
“We are very much looking forward to working with Ms O’Neil in her new and important role,” Mr Clark said.
The Law Council has identified a number of policies that should be made key priorities of as part of its 2016 Election Policy Platform.
These priority areas include:
- ending Australia’s legal aid funding crisis;
- convening a national summit to address the chronic shortage of legal professionals working in rural, regional, and remote communities;
- ensuring counter-terrorism laws are consistent with rule of law principles;
- providing adequate funding for federal courts and tribunals;
- identifying and implementing measures designed to reduce domestic and family violence;
- working towards abolishing mandatory sentencing laws across the board; and
- implementing strategies to address alarming rates of Indigenous imprisonment and victimisation.
Patrick Pantano: Public Affairs
P. 02 6246 3715 E. Patrick.Pantano@lawcouncil.asn.au
Anil Lambert: Media
P. 0416 426 722 E. Anil@hortonadvisory.com.au