Consumer Rights Award
The Consumer Rights Award will be awarded to an individual who champions the rights of consumers in the promotion of consumer law in Australia.
The recipient has made a substantial contribution to the promotion, understanding or protection of consumer rights in their practice of consumer law or in their contribution to the legal, academic or wider community.
The award will be conducted annually by the Australian Consumer Law Committee of the Law Council’s Legal Practice Section. It recognises the range of skills, interests and contributions of those committed to the development and implementation of the law and practices in this field.
Nominations for the 2022 award have now closed.
The Consumer Rights Award will be presented by The Hon. Justice Michael Lee. The winner will be announced at the Consumer Law Forum in Sydney on 19 July 2022. For more details on this event and to register, please click here.
To be eligible for the Award, a nominee must be, or must have in the past 12 months, been:
- engaged in legal practice in any Australian jurisdiction (including in private or government practice, as in-house counsel or in an NGO); or
- an academic teaching or researching in the field of consumer law or related area at an Australian university; or
- an individual who works with consumers or on the development or implementation of laws and practices concerning consumer legal rights in Australia.
The key criteria for the Award are:
- an outstanding contribution to the field of consumer protection law, including through legal practice, law reform, education, advocacy or research; or
- contributions to the wider community, such as through assisting consumers (either individually or collectively) in the promotion or protection of their legal rights.
Nominations may be in the form of a letter or document that describes how the nominee meets the above criteria. Supporting references may be provided but are not required.
The recipient of the award may be invited to become an observer on the Law Council’s Australian Consumer Law Committee for the following year.
For more information, please contact the Section Administrator:
Ms Chelsea De Silva
Section Administrator, Legal Practice Section
T. 02 6246 3722