3 May 2016: International Law Seminar Series
The ILS held the inaugural session of its Breakfast Seminar series on issues of international law on 3 May 2016.
Prof Dr Wolfgang Babeck presented on Successes and challenges of the Australian legal system from an international perspective. A roundtable of junior and senior practitioners attended the event held at DibbsBarker in Sydney, including judges, barristers, solicitors and professors or other academics. Prof Babeck’s thought-provoking presentation laid the foundations for future topics that will be discussed in more detail in individual presentations following the inaugural event.
Topics covered included:
- the lack of an international curriculum in Australia;
- the discussion on the codification of contract law in Australia;
- the cost of compliance;
- the growing limitation of civil liberties;
- the impact of Australia´s partly dysfunctional litigation system on the two previous items;
- the inability of constitutionals amendments; and
- the bill of rights discussion.