11 August 2016: International Law Seminar Series
The third seminar of the series was held on 11 August 2016. Special guest speaker, Mr Damian Sturzaker, Partner, Marque Lawyers, Professorial Fellow of Law of UNSW and Vice-President, CIArb Australia, gave a presentation on Practical examples of resolving international commercial disputes.
Topics discussed included:
- Methods of resolving disputes – mediation, arbitration, litigation;
- Factors to consider when choosing method to resolve dispute;
- Recent developments which will affect resolution methods;
- What to do when the dispute arises – how to respond to dispute notices, early case management, appointment of counsel;
- Fee arrangements in international disputes;
- A case study of the interplay between an arbitration tribunal and domestic courts.
The 15 attendees were generously hosted by Marque Lawyers, Sydney.