New York Chapter
The New York Chapter was formed in 2012. The New York Chapter welcomes lawyers educated or admitted in Australia. The Chapter aims to bring together its membership for both professional development and social connection.
The officers of the New York Chapter are:
Ms Susan M. Davies, Convenor
Susan is a graduate of the Australian National University College of Law (LL.B. (Hons)). She has worked as a commercial litigator in New York for the past 30 years. She is Senior Counsel at Fleischman Bonner & Rocco LLP in New York City.
Ms Kerrie C. Horrocks, Deputy Convenor
Kerrie is a partner of the New York law firm Moses & Singer LLP, where she practices trusts & estates law. Kerrie obtained her LL.B. (Hons.) from the University of Queensland.
Mr Peter Harper, Treasurer
Peter is General Counsel and U.S. Managing Director of CST Tax Advisors, where he specialises in advising foreign owned privately held business on U.S market entry. Peter has an LL.B. from Queensland University of Technology and an LL.M. from the University of New South Wales.
Ms Lara Rabiee, Secretary
Lara’s connection to Australia stems from having lived and worked in Sydney and Melbourne from 2006-2010 following her law degree from the United States. It included one year as a research assistant to judges of the Federal Court of Australia, Sydney Registry, and three years at the Victorian Law Reform Commission identify options for reforming the law with respect to surveillance in public places.
Since returning to New York City, Lara has clerked for Federal Magistrate Judge Lois Bloom, conducted impact litigation at the Center for Reproductive Rights, and currently manages population health initiatives at NYC Health + Hospitals/Lincoln, one of the City’s public hospitals, including an effort to improve patient health by addressing unmet legal needs. She has a Master of Health Science in Health Policy from Johns Hopkins University and a Juris Doctor from the City University of New York, School of Law.
Major events and activities
- On 29 January 2019, the New York Chapter held its second annual reception for Australian lawyers enrolled in LL.M. programs at U.S universities. The reception was held at the offices of Fleischman Bonner & Rocco LLP in New York.
- On 9 October 2018, the New York Chapter co-sponsored an expert panel presentation on immigrant detention policies in Australia, Europe, and the United States. Approximately 60 people gathered at the New York City Bar Association headquarters in midtown Manhattan to hear a panel of international refugee law experts, practitioners, and advocates discuss Australian, U.S, and European immigrant detention practices. Titled Stress Testing International Refugee Law: A Time of Gulag Archipelagos, Moats, and Walls, the event was planned and organized by Lara Rabiee, Secretary of the New York Chapter of the International Law Section of the Law Council of Australia (NY Chapter) together with the New York City Bar Association’s International Human Rights (IHR) Committee. NY Chapter member Susan Wnukowska-Mtonga and IHR Committee member Joseph Perkovich moderated the panel.
- On 18 June 2018, the New York Chapter held a reception for Hon. Justice François Kunc of the New South Wales Supreme Court and his wife Ms. Felicity Rourke. Justice Kunc spoke about his experience attending the Masters of Judicial Studies program at Duke University School of Law in Durham, North Carolina.
- On 28 September 2017, the New York Chapter held a reception for S. Stuart Clark AM, the then President of the Law Council, at the offices of Moses & Singer LLP in New York.
- On 23 March 2017, members of the New York Chapter attended a global webinar sponsored by the International Law Section on the subject “Ethics and Social Media for International Lawyers: an Australian Perspective.”