Hong Kong Chapter
The Hong Kong Chapter was first established in 2012 following a visit from the President of the Law Council. The Chapter has now grown to over 60 members. The Chapter Convenor is Anthony Chow.
The Hong Kong Chapters seeks to provide an opportunity for Australian lawyers based overseas to meet, network, and filter back issues of concern regarding the Australian legal profession by hosting a variety of useful functions for overseas lawyers.
The President and other Executive members of the Law Council of Australia often visit the Hong Kong Chapter to discuss the Chapter’s upcoming activities and share updates on developments in the Hong Kong and Australian legal profession.
Major events and activities
The Hong Kong Chapter hosted its inaugural luncheon on Wednesday 26 June 2013 at the Hong Kong Bankers Club to celebrate the establishment of the Chapter. The event featured the Hon. Justice Gleeson AC NPJ, non-permanent judge of the Hong Kong Court of Final Appeal and former Chief Justice of the High Court of Australia, as the keynote speaker. It has since held several interesting events featuring a variety of well-known speakers.
On 16 June 2016, the Hong Kong Chapter held a cocktail event which once again featured The Hon. Mr. Justice Murray Gleeson AC NPJ as speaker. The full bench of the Hong Kong Court of Final Appeal attended the reception.
Most recently, on 3 November, the Hong Kong Chapter held an event featuring the Honourable Justice Joseph Fok, one of the four Permanent Judges of the Hong Kong Court of Final Appeal.
Other events include:
- 10 March 2016, the Hong Kong Chapter hosted a cocktail event with the Hon. Mr. Justice James Spigelman AC QC NPJ as keynote speaker. His Honour has been a non-permanent Judge of the Court of Final Appeal of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region since 2013.
- 27 January 2016 cocktail event featuring The Hon. Mr. Justice WMC Gummow AC NPJ, who has been a Non-Permanent Judge of the Court of Final Appeal of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region since April 2013.
- 25 June 2015 cocktail reception featuring keynote speaker Mr John Davison, Partner of Messrs. Kao Lee & Yip and a veteran Australian Lawyer.
- 18 November 2014 luncheon featuring Mr. Mark Steward, then Executive Director, Enforcement, Securities and Futures Commission Hong Kong.
- 22 May 2014 cocktail reception featuring the Hon Mr. Rimsky Yuen SC JP, Secretary for Justice of the Hong Kong SAR and the Honourable Mr. Justice Kevin Zervos, Judge of the Court of First Instance, High Court of the Hong Kong SAR, a former Director of Public Prosecutions in the Hong Kong SAR and a former general counsel to the NSW Independent Commission Against Corruption, as special guests.