About the Section
The International Law Section provides a focal point for lawyers and others interested in transnational and international law matters, trade and business practice, migration and human rights issues. Lawyers and others are able to discuss current issues and contribute to the development of international legal practice and policy. The Section’s Chapters provide an opportunity for Australian trained lawyers based overseas to meet, network and filter back issues of concern.
The International Law Section:
- Gives its members the opportunity to develop a network of professional contacts in their fields of practice.
- Provides access to South Pacific Lawyers Association (SPLA)
- Provides a forum for debate on current issues and assists lawyers to develop and maintain their professional skills and knowledge, through a schedule of regular seminars, workshops and courses
- Promotes mentoring opportunities for lawyers wishing to undertake a career in international law.
- Distributes a newsletter with information about current international issues, upcoming event around Australia, courses, jobs and internships.
- Through its international Chapters provides contacts, networking opportunities with Australian lawyers working overseas.
Mary Walker, Chairperson
Mary Walker has been at the forefront of ADR in Australia for the last 28 years. During this period, as a member of an independent Bar, Mary has arbitrated, mediated, negotiated, facilitated multi-party, environmental and community disputes, designed dispute resolution systems and provided expert appraisal and ombudsman services in respect to thousands of disputes referred by solicitors, industry and government bodies and corporations both domestic and international.
Dr Wolfgang Babeck, Deputy Chairperson
Dr Wolfgang Babeck has more than 20 years’ experience as a corporate and commercial lawyer and is admitted in New South Wales, England & Wales and as Rechtsanwalt in Germany. He acts on matters across a great range of industries (manufacturing and transport, infrastructure and energy, technology, FMCG and health) and has specific expertise on tenders, mergers & acquisitions and employment law as well as cross border disputes including arbitration.
Dr Martyn Taylor, Treasurer
Dr Martyn Taylor is a corporate & commercial lawyer based in Sydney. He heads the telecommunications & media group, the international trade group, and the rail group in the Asia-Pacific. Martyn’s practice covers transactional, contentious and advisory. He is a well-known telecommunication, internet, media & technology (TMT), infrastructure, energy, competition & regulatory lawyer.
Mr Fred Chilton
Ms Suzanne Howarth
Dr Gordon Hughes
Mr Duncan McConnel
Ms Anne O'Donoghue
Mr Damian Sturzaker
Committees of the International Law Section
- Dr Wolfgang Babeck and Judge Judith Gibson, Co-Chairs
- Mr Damian Sturzaker and Ms Mary Walker, Co-Chairs
International Human Rights
- Dr Martyn Taylor and Ms Anne O’Donoghue, Co-Chairs
International Trade and Business
- Dr Ross Becroft and Mr Angus Macinnis, Co-Chairs
South Pacific Issues Committee
- Dr Gordon Hughes and Ms Mary Walker, Co-Chairs
Ms Doris Wimmler
T. 02 6246 3758
The Law Council is the peak body representing the interests of the legal profession at the national level. The Law Council does not offer advice on individual cases. If you do require legal advice, please contact your local law society or legal aid.