2017 Australian Day Honours
The Law Council congratulates those who were appointed as a Companion of the Order of Australia for their commitment and dedication to the legal profession.
- Her Excellency the Honourable Linda Marion Dessau AM
- The Honourable Robert James Ellicott QC
- The Honourable Justice Stephen John Gageler
- Her Excellency Professor the Honourable Catherine Ann Warner AM
- The Honourable Stephen Pendrill Charles QC
- Dr Helen Anne Durham
- The Honourable Justice Mark Samuel Weinberg
- The Honourable Christopher Reginald Wright QC
- Professor Ian Harley Bailey SC
- Mr Alexander Baykitch
- The Honourable Justice Kevin Harcourt Bell
- Professor Sandford Delbridge Clark
- Mr John Matthew Corcoran
- The Honourable Elizabeth Helen Curtain
- Ms Geraldine Anne Daley
- Mr Peter John Garrisson SC
- His Honour Judge Graeme Leslie Henson
- Professor the Honourable Nahum Mushin
- Professor Peter Samuel Zablud RFD
- Mr William Ewe Min Lye
International Law note: Singapore
The Singapore Parliament has passed the Civil Law (Amendment) Bill to allow third party funding in certain categories of dispute resolution proceedings by abolishing maintenance and champerty and stating that third‑party funding contracts are not illegal or contrary to public policy. The Bill establishes a framework for third-party funding, with the detail to be dealt with in regulations of permitted categories. It is expected these categories will initially be international arbitration and related court and mediation proceedings.
Prepared by Mr Cameron Ford, Convenor, ILS Singapore Chapter.
Opening of the Legal Year Singapore
On 9 January 2017, the President of the Law Council attended the Opening of Legal Year Ceremony in Singapore and Presidents’ Roundtable Dialogue hosted by the Law Society of Singapore. The Roundtable addressed challenges to the profession including Rule of Law issues, independence of the Bar and the impact of technologies on the profession, and difficulties facing local jurisdictions in 2017. During her visit, the President also met with the incoming President of the Singapore Law Society, Mr Gregory Vijayendran, and the Australian Deputy High Commissioner, Mr Adrian Lochrin, to discuss issues of mutual concern.
Launch of the Singapore Chapter
Access to telecommunications data in civil proceedings
On 24 January 2017, the Law Council provided a submission to the Attorney-General’s Department’s inquiry into Access to Telecommunications Data in Civil Proceedings.
The Law Council called for the release of a further Consultation Paper by Government that outlines a range of issues including (but not limited to) specific proposals where it considers that there might be a need to allow access to telecommunications data retained under mandatory data retention legislation; and the relevant privacy issues and risks, risk of data insecurity and unauthorised secondary use, and misuse by parties themselves to litigation. The Law Council also called for an assessment by the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner on any proposals and a regulation impact statement or an independent cost benefit analysis.