Diverse and inclusive legal workplaces help to build a strong and respected legal profession. A major step towards this goal has been the development of a Diversity and Equality Charter, which organisations now have the opportunity to adopt.
This Charter is a statement of principles to acknowledge publicly a commitment to diversity and equality by the Australian legal profession. It is based on the principles of justice, integrity, equity and the pursuit of excellence upon which this profession is founded.
The Charter was unanimously adopted by legal profession leaders at the Law Council of Australia’s National Attrition and Re-engagement Study Workshop in May 2015 and is a significant step for the legal profession in progressing the critical issue of diversity and equality.
The Charter is available for adoption by law societies, bar associations, law firms, chambers and other entities associated with the legal profession.
The Law Council has created a logo which can be used by those organisations who formally adopt the Charter to publicly acknowledge their commitment to its principles.
Your organisation can adopt the Diversity and Equality Charter by signing up below.
Organisations that have adopted the Charter:
Sole practitioners who have adopted the Charter:
- Ms Jennifer Batrouney QC
- Ms Patricia Cahill SC, Francis Burt Chambers
- Mr Adam Casselden SC, Greenway Chambers
- Ms Kerry Clark, Murray Chambers
- Mr Joshua Creamer, Griffith Chambers
- Ms Kate Eastman SC, 6 St James Hall Chambers
- Ms Patricia Feeney, Griffith Chambers
- Mr Chris Gunson, Derwent & Tamar Chambers
- Mr Guy Hampson, Griffith Chambers
- Ms Elspeth Hensler, Francis Burt Chambers
- Ms Kylie Hillard, Griffith Chambers
- Ms Dominique Hogan-Doran SC
- Mr Matthew Howard SC, Francis Burt Chambers
- Ms Caroline Kirton QC
- Ms Rebecca Lee, Francis Burt Chambers
- Ms Emma Luck, Francis Burt Chambers
- Mr Eoin Mac Giolla Ri, Griffith Chambers
- Mr Anthony McGrath SC, 12 Wentworth Selborne Chambers
- Ms Fiona McLeod SC
- Mr John Merrell, Griffith Chambers
- Ms Claire O'Connor SC, Villeneuve Smith Chambers
- Mr Callan O'Neill, 12 Wentworth Selborne Chambers
- Ms Michelle Painter SC, Nine Selborne Chambers
- Ms Jane Rawlings
- Mr Matthew Ray, Craig Ray & Associates
- Mr Peter Roney QC, Griffith Chambers
- Ms Sarah Russell, Francis Burt Chambers
- Ms Laura Sime, Murray Chambers
- Mr Steven Stevens, Stenas Legal
- Ms Heather Stokes, Legoe Chambers
- Mr Manuel Varitimos QC
- Ms Danae Younger, Griffith Chambers